National Legislation


The Health Certificate of Compliance or ACS (Attestation de Conformité Sanitaire) is issued by the laboratories entrusted of carrying out the certifications for the drinking water application according to the circulars issued by the French Ministry of Health and ANSES (French Agency for Food, Environmental and Occupational Health & Safety).


TZW (TechnologieZentrumWasser) is the German Body that carries out the approvals for drinking water applications according to ResAP (2004)3 in combination with DIN 19636.


The Ministerial Decree n° 174 (D.M. n° 174) establishes, according to the Italian law, the requirements of the materials intended to be used in contact with drinking water. The D.M. n° 74 provides a positive list of substances that the materials have to respect.

The Netherlands

Ion Exchange resins need to comply with the Dutch Drinking Water regulation using the CEN 12873-3 (KIWA).


WRAS (Water Regulations Advisory Scheme) is the British Body that carries out the approvals for the drinking water applications according to the Standard BS6920. It is a requirement that all non-metallic materials which come into contact with water intended for domestic use or food production must conform to the requirements of BS6920. This standard sets out a number of test methods to assess the suitably of materials whether they will:

  • impart odour or flavour
  • cause a change in appearance (colour or turbidity)
  • promote microbial growth
  • leach substances harmful to human health
  • leach toxic metals

Consult the list of WRAS approved Ion Exchange Resins.

The Drinking Water Inspectorate (DWI) was formed in 1990 to provide independent reassurance that public water supplies in England and Wales are safe and drinking water quality is acceptable to consumers. Consult the list of DWI approved products incl. Ion Exchange Resins.


SVGW (Schweizerische Verein des Gas- und Wasserfaches/ Société Suisse de l’Industrie du Gaz et des Eaux) is the national professional organization which regroups companies distributing gas and water. The SVGW is a nonprofit organization.

Other EU countries

In addition to Germany, France, The Netherlands and the UK (4MS) which have country-specific composition and testing requirements, some other countries have a national scheme which allows submitting testing protocols from the 4MS (Member States). These countries include Poland, Austria, Denmark, Switzerland.

Countries without a national scheme accept certifications from other countries.